Tuesday, October 04, 2005

a bloggable thought

a thought occurred to me.. in the following minute, two concurrent thoughts occurred.. the first was "this is soooo much like something Kareem (not Karim) would say" and the 2nd being "This is sooo much like something Seinfeld would say" (and btw it was Karim -not Kareem- who introduced me to Seinfeld in the first place.. it was about the time he introduced me to "el mashroob el holami" as well, 7-up or Sprite with mint syrup)

Anyway so i shared this thought (the very 1st thought that occurred to me) yesterday with Kareem (not Karim) and he went like “I CANT BELIEVE IT!! I HAD THE EXACT SAME THOUGHT AND I THOUGHT THIS WAS SUCH A BLOGGABLE THOUGHT” so I shared with him the other 2 thoughts….

Since we both wanted to blog that thought, we agreed that we will see who gets there first….

The thought in question is, “why the $#%#$^ do they name hurricanes after women?” ;)

Wikipedia said:

In keeping with the common English language practice of referring to inanimate objects such as boats, trains, etc., using the female pronoun "she," names used were exclusively feminine. The first storm of the year was assigned a name beginning with the letter "A", the second with the letter "B", etc. However, since tropical storms and hurricanes are primarily destructive, some considered this practice sexist.

Read more at this wikipedia link

A long post is in store… wait for it… and happy Ramadan everyone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is soooooo unfair, my grandma is in the hospital and I had to spend the whole day with her and you go ahead an blog MY thought first ?!?!? This is the last time i'll share my thoughts/observations with you :p

The Duke of Darkness said...

A hurrican is a massive storm.
Since storm is a female
Hurrican Names are named after Women.

Nag said...

Kareem-
I was the one who shared MY thought with YOU, not the other way round..

Duke-
Who said that storm is a female?

Anonymous said...

I hate to burst everyone's bubble here...

Sep. 2004: Ivan
Aug. 2004: Charlie
Sep. 1999: Floyd
Aug. 1999: Bret
Sep. 1998: Earl
Jul. 1997: Danny
Aug. 1992: Andrew
Aug. 1991: Bob
Oct. 1989: Jerry

The list goes on..

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I bet these are names of men victims of domestic violence, killed by their own wives or something. The bottom line is it has to do with women and destruction, we must blame someone afterall :D

Nag said...

Kareem, you need to take Karim's word.. he's probably done his research and knows what he's saying....

hmmm... actually on second thought, he's the one who didnt believe that Windows NT actually stood for New Technology and not Network something or the other ;)

(yes, Karim, i never forget ;) and it was in Kadi's course.. remember that guy? Kadi? :P)

p.s. i know am mean to bring it up but what can i say "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

Anonymous said...

I stand by my original statement. NT stands for "Network Technology" :) Even if Microsoft doesn't realize that.