Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

(Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.. just to get what they're talking about.. for instance in "You say either and I say either", the 1st is "Eether" & the 2nd is "Aither" ;) ~Enjoy!)

Things have come to a pretty pass
Our romance is growing flat,
For you like this and the other
While I go for this and that,

Goodness knows what the end will be
Oh I don't know where I'm at
It looks as if we two will never be one
Something must be done:

You say either and I say either,
You say neither and I say neither
Either, either Neither, neither
Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto.
Let's call the whole thing off

But oh, if we call the whole thing off
Then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you like pyjamas and I like pyjahmas,
I'll wear pyjamas and give up pyajahmas
For we know we need each other so we
Better call the whole thing off
Let's call the whole thing off.

You say laughter and I say larfter
You say after and I say arfter
Laughter, larfter after arfter
Let's call the whole thing off,

You like vanilla and I like vanella
You saspiralla, and I saspirella
Vanilla vanella chocolate strawberry
Let's call the whole thing off

But oh if we call the whole thing of then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you go for oysters and I go for ersters
I'll order oysters and cancel the ersters
For we know we need each other so we
Better call the calling off off,
Let's call the whole thing off.

I say father, and you say pater,
I saw mother and you say mater
Pater, mater Uncle, auntie let's call the whole thing off.


I like bananas and you like banahnahs
I say Havana and I get Havahnah
Bananas, banahnahs Havana, Havahnah
Go your way, I'll go mine

So if I go for scallops and you go for lobsters,
So all right no contest we'll order lobseter
For we know we need each other so we
Better call the calling off off,
Let's call the whole thing off.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

kewl

Nag said...

who?

Anonymous said...

moo..

The Duke of Darkness said...

Boo

Nag said...

who is be?

Christian said...

obviously someone who stumbled upon your blog by mistake and left a comment for everyone to check out his profile and blog.
Marketing :)

Anonymous said...

I like the words to this song, I had to do a long search for it to hear the duo version with Armstrong. What I like about it is they both acknowledged that there are differences, but chose to compromise for the sake of this relationship...quite interesting

Anonymous said...

yeah I like it alot tooo
but did u notice that she is the one that always made the compromise:p
like with pyjamas, lobsters and oysters:D

Anonymous said...

Maybe cause it's her song, Armstrong is a guest star :p

Seriously both of them have to compromise, meet each other halfway, because if there's one party who's always fighting for it to work and the other is just getting it for free it won't work at all ... eventually the fighter will get tired and stop caring and the whole thing will fall apart with extreme emotional damage. The other one will be just wondering what the hell happened, he isn’t even here, not even aware there was a struggle going on.

The Duke of Darkness said...

Well,

I would hate to spoil the "compromise" debate between my deerest wife meyo and you kareem.

My persona take is that compromises are nails in a relationship coffin. You are simply bound to regret them later

As far as I am concerned, it's more of an acceptance issue. so if I go for scallops and you go for lobster, let's find a place that serves them both.

And if no such a place exists you order your lobster, i order my scalops and let's go home light up some candles, put on some flowers, play some nice music and let's have the greatest time on earth.

No one needs to compromise.

Differences should be accepted and celebrated rather than compromised becasue only through this acceptance that a relationship can go on.

Compromises attempt to suppress the differences, or actually veil them without realy addressing what's burning up underneath.

With compromise, you are always giving up something you wanted, there are always a "What ifs" and" might have beens" and when they add up you get a "Has been" love.

The "compromiser" would eventually grow tired as you said kareem. having 2 "compromisers" would mean 2 people growing tired. Maybe after a longer period of time, but they will grow tired because they tried to eliminate or rather pretend to elminate their difference instead of accepting them and living with them.

Having Said this. I would like to add two statements:

-The Driver Always Chooses the Music. Because if the music is irritating, he/she can make an accident killing everybody on board

-The Driver Always decides when to move on in order to reach a destination on a given time. "That given time might be decided by either party", but once it's set it's up to the driver to take all of the actions he/she deems necessary to get there on time.

I guess i graced with too much of my profound and pretty much celebrated and acclaimed wisdom and i am actually tired of writing.

so instead of saying that i don't feel like writing at the begining of the post and make everybody feel that i am doing them a great favor by writing anyway, i am saying at the point where i don't really feel like writing anymore and going to stop.

Anonymous said...

Wisely said indeed Duke :D

The Duke of Darkness said...

They don't build them like me anymore:)))