Monday, March 06, 2006

Just because..

"You are so terribly nimble, so clever. I distrust your cleverness. You make a wonderful pattern, everything is in its place, it looks convincingly clear, too clear. And meanwhile, where are you? Not on the clear surface of your ideas, but you have already sunk deeper, into darker regions, so that one only thinks one has been given all your thoughts, one only imagines you have emptied yourself in that clarity. But there are layers and layers -- you're bottomless, unfathomable. Your clearness is deceptive. You are the thinker who arouses most confusion in me, most doubt, most disturbance."
~Anaïs Nin, August 1932 "Henry and June"

I disregard the proportions, the measures, the tempo of the ordinary world. I refuse to live in the ordinary world as ordinary women. To enter ordinary relationships. I want ecstasy. I am a neurotic —in the sense that I live in my world. I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself.
~ Anaïs Nin, March 25, 1933

I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.
~ Anaïs Nin, July 7, 1934

I love your silences, they are like mine. You are the only being before whom I am not distressed by my own silences. You have a vehement silence, one feels it is charged with essences, it is a strangely alive silence, like a trap open over a well, from which one can hear the secret murmur of the earth itself.
~ Anaïs Nin, "Je suis le plus malade des Surrealistes" Under A Glass Bell (1944)


(She is a French-American woman writer, born in my month but almost 80 yrs before me... funny how her writing seems so much modern :D)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see "Henry and June"? I thought Anaïs was really good. On the other hand, Uma Thurman was in the movie...but let's not go there.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Cursos de cisco Torrents r undelete Boston seap debt counseling protonix 2005 acura rl radio Cisco 678 router Mean machine football Accept+credit+cardwithout+a+merchant+account