Monday, February 20, 2006

The world is flat!

when i saw this book @ Diwan, i thought it was a fiction book.. sort of like the Pratchett/Gaiman things i read :D.. turns out its a collection of political essays! Anyway, this reminds me of a Suzanne Vega song called "The World before Columbus"...............

about this song, Vega said "The idea of the world before Columbus came because I have a cat at home, and this cat scratched my eye -just playing, and it became infected and I had to wear an eyepatch for about a week. The thing I noticed was that the world was really flat seeing the world that way. It struck me as funny and I was writing it down and I said the world was as flat as the world before Columbus."

Read thru... and enjoy :) (you can listen to an excerpt of the song here

If your love were taken from me
Every color would be black and white
It would be as flat as the world before Columbus
That's the day that I lose half my sight

If your life were taken from me
All the trees would freeze in this cold ground
It would be as cruel as the world before Columbus
Sail to the edge and I'd be there looking down

Those men who lust for land
And for riches strange and new
Who love those trinkets of desire
Oh they never will have you
And they'll never know the gold
Or the copper in your hair
How could they weigh
the worth of you so rare

If your love were taken from me
Every light that's bright would soon go dim
It would be as dark as the world before Columbus
Down the waterfall and I'd swim over the brim

Those men who lust for land
And for riches strange and new
Who love those trinkets of desire
Oh they will never have you
And they'll never know the gold
Or the copper in your hair
How could they weigh
the worth of you so rare

15 comments:

Christian said...

YALP :@

Anonymous said...

What's "YALP :@" ?

Nag said...

Well, i came up with something.. but the thing is, if it is correct then it will mean two things:
1. That Chris is a hopeless geek.
2. That i am even a much worse geek for getting it!

I was trying to come up with some funny phrase that acronyms to YALP just as a get-back.. so i went like "Yeeeeh aih lyrics pardo?" :P then i found myself saying "Yet Another Linguistic Programming" then it hit me that it _could_ actually be "Yet Another Lyrics Post" and *that* brought me to tears!

remember YACC? Yet Another Compiler Compiler? And _they_ say i didnt pay attention at college!

i will really hate myself if the YALP is what i think..

Anonymous said...

:D

Fantastic. I tried to come up with something to match it too, but nothing nearly as funny as Yeeeeh Aih Lyrics Pardo?

lol..

That's really funny.

Christian said...

loool, I actually spilled my coffee through my nose on the shirt because of this.

With mixed feelings I have to confirm your worst fears. You got it, it's the one that brought you to tears. Try to not hate yourself too much :)

And I have to say the "pardo" one is a masterpiece.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm impressed by the both of you :D And, as expected, another point of similarity between Mr. V0od0o and myself...yes...the spilling of drinks through channels mainly intended for repiration and mucus :)

Christian said...

I preferred the comments when they were funny :P

Lyrics in a comment on a lyrics post is adding insult to injury. I sure hope this doesn't catch on too :P I had my objections on lyrics to start with, never thought I'd see the day with nested lyrics too.

Anonymous said...

To Lyrics

Why, oh why, do they hate you so?
My dear, if they could only know
How cool you are
You lovely star
Ya wardet kafr el dawwar
Ah ya Lyrics.


By day, they call you nasty things
By night, they fly upon your wings
But they don't say
They like the way
You make them stray
W bte3melilhom demaghatix


If you should, one day, disappear
I'm sure they'd cry with feel (elephant) el tear
Amma ana me7tar
La' 3a'li tar
Nas dole ashrar,
Walla eih ya Lyrics?


They seem to be all in one camp
They say "kefaya Lyrics" w "YALP"
Matez3aleesh
Maho 3adl mafeesh
3alam tarabeesh
Anti-phonetics

Christian said...

looool
We 3agaby...
Seriously, how long did it take you to write that? Hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Actually it didn't take that long :) Maybe 10 minutes. I guess I was in one of those moods :D

Nag said...

then i sure hope you get in "one of these moods" more often because its the best thing you've written in a long time... or... wait a minute, do you mean you were drunk or under the effect of cough medicine?

anyway, when i was reading your lovely poem, and i was in the 3rd line "how cool you are", I (stupid me) thought u were token about me because everyone was attacking me w keda... but it turned you had a more noble cause... the lyrics themselves :D

i luv it :D

Anonymous said...

Nah...I've been off cough medicine for a while now :) Just one of the tahyees moods. I was actually at work. It had been a long day.

I think I'll post it on my blog, since I've nothing else to post.

Christian said...

Enta betedrab el 7agat dy? :D

Anonymous said...

Anhi 7agat?

Christian said...

cough medicine :p