Sunday, August 14, 2005

my life in points....

*Alexandria
The weather was cool... the hotel was not! it was simply a $#%#$%#$^ seriously!! very poor furnishing and very narrow passages (i cant handle it because i like spaces).. but it was okay tho...

ITWorx Alex is a babe! really.. very well done.. the building is really really nice, its an excutive building keda and ITWorx has a part of the 3rd floor.. good space AND they have a boxing bag and gloves (soooooo cool!).. The people of Alex are laid back but they're friendly and nice..
i went to the Bibliotheca with sister.. its the 2nd time i go there and her first.. really impressive as always but lacks maps and instructions... i went to the ancient scripts sections this time.. saw the Gutenberg Bible, some really really ancient prints of the Quraan and some ancient originals...
Stanley Bridge... hmmm... a masterpiece.. when i used to go to Agami in previous summers with friends, it was a must to go from Agami to Alexandria after midnight to have ice-cream and check out Stanley at around 3 a.m. Amazing.. aside from the fact that the view is great, u also find the beach loaded with people ("bashar" ya3ni)!!! the explanation was that most of these people come from nearby governorates and usually spend the night here keda in the beach and go back before morning.. gives you a taste of how some people can really try to enjoy the most of their time... as a matter of fact, Yehia Ghannam (one of my favorite musicians who has a cool band) has a piece called "Kobri Stanley el sa3a talata w noss saba7an"!

anyway so we went to a big seafood lunch (in a "fishy" restaurant called 3arooset el ba7r) with Heba AbdRabou, Mohammed Ismail, Sherif Hussein and Afaf (work people) where Afaf really took care of Heba and i regarding ordering fish and all :) and we go afterwards to a stroll on the Stanley Bridge in that time in the afternoon where its close to sunset but not quite.. we comment on the romance of the moment blablabla, they take a taxi to the train station and i walk back to the hotel...

i started a cold on Thursday (my 2nd day in Alex) and it continued with me till late Saturday..


*Honeymoon ;)
no need to panic, YET! but check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeymoon
you will find a paragraph in olde Englishe :) the way it used to be written, it makes me laugh... i thought Terry Pratchett is making fun of it when he writes it this way! :)


Hony mone, a terme proverbially applied to such as be newe maried, whiche wyll not fall out at the fyrste, but thone loveth the other at the beginnynge excedyngly, the likelyhode of theyr exceadynge love appearing to aswage, ye which time the vulgar people cal the hony mone

("Honeymoon, a term proverbially applied to the newly-married, who will not fall out (quarrel) at first, but they love the other at the beginning exceedingly, the likelihood of their exceeding love appearing to assuage [any quarrels]; this time is commonly called the honeymoon").

(note: not to panic, i was checking honeymoon to see something.. dont worry!)

*Breakfast @ Harris (& walk in korba)
And I said what about "Breakfast at Tiffany's?
She said, "I think I remember the film,
And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it."
And I said, "Well, that's the one thing we've got." (Deep Blue Something "Breakfast @ Tiffany's")

I went for breakfast yesterday @ Harris Korba.. They make a good omelet there.. then i had a walk in Korba, went to Everyman's and went to Cairo Design Center.. I luuuuuuuuuv this place.. its a furniture place keda that is sooo cool.. everything there is so unique.. not the ultra modern kind of thing but the modern relaxed look... you have to see it to know it.. :)

* Truffles
hmmmm Sherif (a.k.a. Duke) was going to Brussels last week (for more details and entertaining facts check his blog).. so he asks me if i want somsin.. of course, Belgium is known for its diamonds.. so i tell him to get me a rock (a request that he eloquently puts aside as a "joke") and he says they have nice chocolate fa i ask him for truffles... he gets me this meeeeeeeeega nicely wrapped box of dark green and gold (i luv it when the wrappers are dark green and gold).. inside it is the most succulent, delicious, extravagant, scrumptious chocolate (i read a blog somewhere by someone i dont remember who made fun of such words, but i simply luv them)... Anyway Duke & Duchess, thank you both... it is mega mega nice.... it's my little secret with mama....

*What am reading now
a while ago, i got my mom this novel called "Maryam al 7akaya" (Mariam of The Stories' ) by 3olweya Sob7. She is a lebanese writer who is writing this story about the Lebanese society and how the wars affected it.. she mainly targets a certain age group; the people who were young at the 70's.. the generation of riots and all.... it was a really interesting read.. a big book (like 400+) that i started in Alex, read most of it in the weekend and have a couple of pages left.... too lazy to finish it now that i finished the peak of the story...
when am done with it (hopefully tonight) i will start American Gods by Neil Gaiman.. Duke & Duchess got it to me :) its a big book as well and it seems mega interesting... lets see how that goes....

i have a lot more to tell but i think thats as long as i'll get.....

cheers...

4 comments:

The Duke of Darkness said...

Nice to have you writing back.

I am just wondering
why do you always say Duke and Duchess got me so and so !!!!!

I travelled
I lost my luggage
I got my return trip cancelled
I got the chocolate
I got the book
:))))))))))))))))))))

It was MY show alone. I should take all the credit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think starting some serious domestic disturbance here. I have a very accomodating and understanting Duchess:))))))))))

It's only fair that i take the credit, right?:))))))))

Anyway. we'll see how the day goes

Anonymous said...

WOW…I didn’t know the Gutenberg Bible is here in Egypt aslan…this is very interesting considering the historical significance it holds.
3areoset El Ba7r isn't a fishy restaurant if it is what I have in mind... it's downtown keda and kind of in the open with a covered hall?? i always go there, but since you're a non-fish person (which is strange) you wouldn't like the down to earth experience.
As for breakfast @ Harris I think I did that once in the past and I loved it and enjoyed every moment of it, the omelet with cheese didn't have any cheese awy though :D

And it was in my blog that I made fun of these words for describing food (angry smiley)

Side note: could be there be an angry smiley or a crying smiley ??? it's either smiling or crying ya3nee, since when has smiling been used as a character like a stick figure?? Bloody messenger!!

Nag said...

Duke,
"we'll see how the day goes" is mine mine mine :)

Kareem,
its not the original Gutenberg.. its a replica..
as for 3arooset el ba7r... yes i am non-fish... but i've been in down to earth fish places, and loved it.. my friends once took me to that weird place in abu kir (not Zepheiron whom i used to go to with my family tho i disgusted the name :)) its a place keda right on shore.... i had the _best_ fish ever, and actually it got me hooked on fried Calamari.. i've tasted 2 shrimps in my entire life and i cant stand it.. i only like fried white filet and fried calamari.. tried grilled one in negmet sina in sharm (a delicious restaurant) but i prefer fried...

after i posted my blog i suspected that it was ur blog where i read the making fun of these words but i wasnt too sure (now i am :)) but that was sooooooooooooo long ago.. i didnt know u then, but it got me hooked on ur blog for a while :)

Anonymous said...

woe is me. i miss alexandria.