Sunday, June 05, 2011

my problem with Nizar

I have always had a problem with Nizar's poetry. There was something that bothered me but I just could not pinpoint it. So the man loves women, to the point of adoration even, what is MY problem with that exactly?

I cannot deny I liked some of his poetry. I would not seek it though, I would only read what comes my way -whether by chance or recommended-. I have one small booklet for him that a friend bought for me last year (as a joke I think, or as a symbol).

And then, a couple of days back, Mourid Barghouthi is on TV with Radwa Ashour, and he refers to Nizar's opinion about women, and I finally get what has been bothering me. Nizar talks about the perfect woman:

يصف نزار قباني على إنه شاعر الذكر العربي، الذي يصور المرأة دائما ككائن من "مرمر ودانتيل" فلا يعكس في شعره الوجود الواقعي للمرأة ترتدي نظارة أو تقرأ جريدة

This is EXACTLY it. When this person/friend referred me to Nizar, that was my issue. I do not want the "woman/muse" model.. I do not have an issue with being an inspiration or a muse, in fact who wouldn't want to! But I do have an issue with this being what defines me. I have an issue with this forming a screen between "who I am" and "how you perceive me to be". Because I must stay young, and lovely, and sweet, and happy. I _must_ stay this person. I must not worry or doubt or question. I must not feel insecure. Even when you like my imperfections, you like them as part of my muse-being, just like you would admire a chip in the body of a lovely sculpture, just like you admire Venus without arms.


Thank you, 3ammo Mourid.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

na3am

Nag said...

Dear Anonymous Commentor-

Whoever you are. I really welcome your contributions, but it will make much more sense to me if you would elaborate on your "na3am"s.

Don't do it for me, do it for humanity. I don't care to know who you are, but I don't like being left with loose ends (which you probably know if you know me).

Thank you,
N.

Anonymous said...

This is a different anon. then the one above, i'll just call myself, anon2 (something very original)

way back i read your post for the solitude of prime numbers, decided to get it, read it, finished it in a day, BRILLIANT read! thank you!

your book suggestions/posts, are always spot on, i think i bought another book based on your posts before, though i cant remember what it was, or if i did actually buy another book based on your posts, getting old i guess.....

Anonymous said...

anon2;
Any more book suggestions?

Nag said...

:) Thanks, glad you liked it.. It is indeed brilliant..

As for other suggestions, hmmm, there is another book I enjoyed recently, "Room" by Emma Donoghue.. I liked it a lot but Karim my friend didn't like it as much. So check an online review (without ruining the plot) and see... if you're buying it from Cairo, Virgin Megastore has an LE45 paperback compared to the 140 hardcover at Diwan :)

If you read Arabic, I've recently been reading for Bahaa Taher and liking him a lot.

There is also the End of the Affair (am trying to recall remarkable books I've read in the last few months).. It is a beautiful read, and not only for the emotional part but for the spiritual as well..

I would also recommend Jostein Gaarder books, but some people get bored of him easily, so you will need to judge for yourself :)