Saturday, September 16, 2006

After Midnight Thoughts..

* My nephew @ Cornell's!
I have 2 adorable nephews (altho they got to the age were "adorable" is not exactly the word to refer to them!).. Anyway, so the eldest has gone this year to college.. he's always wanted to study medicine, and fortunately he did it.. Cornell's University (NY's Cornell) opened a Medicine school campus in Qatar and thats where he went.. yes its Qatar and all, but on the good side: it is _the_ same university, better facilities (after all its the gulf), better student-teacher ratio, and closer to home so he can hop in for holidays and stuff.. its a funny feeling to have your nephew studying medicine, listening to Opeth and the like, and up to your own mental level in most conversations.. I have an interesting familial structure, but thats a story for another day..

* Intolerance
A while ago my msn name was "N - Tolerance" (recently it is always "N- ", so K commented that in fact it was pronounced "intolerance".. Recently, i developed severe intolerance to some things and people... intolerance to what? hmmm, almost anything.. a couple of months ago i was in this meeting with a girl i was meeting for the first time, and in spite of everything i couldnt take my mind off the idea that "HER NECKLACE IS MAKING SO MUCH NOISE GODDAMIT!" seriously, something as silly as a jingling necklace just ticked me off.. other things, well, zaman, a couple of years back i had the tolerance to actually listen to almost anyone.. now i just feel like walking away when people are talking.. keda.. Its not worth the hassle for me anymore to engage in conversations i dont like.. i even stopped saying full sentences, even in conversations am enjoying.. well, i've had that missing word thing always but it just got worse.. but its worst when am not enjoying the talk.. i just ignore, look the other way, change the subject, or just give silly answers.. funny thing is, i drift aslan in any conversation, so it takes a real expert to know whether am drifting because am bored or just because am a born-drifter.. oh well, whatever, never mind..

* White Noise
K introduced me to that (i knew it from the movie but didnt know ppl actually use it), and truth be said, at first i thought it was plain stupid :D its the kind of "sssshhhhh" distortion you hear when you're in between radio stations.. well, apparently its gaining wide popularity abroad.. tried it ba2a once when i was in no mood for conversation, no mood for listening, no mood for nothing.. i just put my earphones and tuned my phone's radio to white noise... pure isolation.. kind of creepy and introvert.. but when the mood is here, its here..

* The Cat that Walked by Himself
'... it is I: for you have spoken a word in my praise, and now I can sit within the Cave for always and always and always. But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me.'
~ Just So Stories, Rudyard Kipling

I like the previous quotation.. I get very attached to memories: smells, sounds, feelings, whatever they are.. but just as well, i walk by myself... kind of like this McD commercial, the guy is walking by, passing people and just walking on by.. I stay -more or less- stable, a sign of the times and all that.. but i want to go for a while.. I want to be the one chaging sceneries instead of having sceneries change around me.. 7aga keda... "I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me." but i just wish i can find one place to be _my_ place, the place..

* New songs I like
- Jewel's "Goodbye Alice in Wonderland"
- Blue October's "Hate Me".. Pretty negative, but i like the music and lyrics
- Green Day's "Extraordinary Girl"
- Losing my Religion.. not new but an all-time favorite
- Rihanna's "Unfaithful"
- Sandy Thom "I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker"
- Robbie Williams "Advertising Space"

* To sum up,
I hate these three words.. If you could sum it up, then you should've sum it up!


Signing off,
N.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was listening to a kind of documentary about noise, and they said that it actually seems that white noise enhances the operation of the brain! It acts as a kind of stimulant...although with some people it has the opposite effect and helps them sleep! Weird. They also did some test on adding noise to digital images and found that up to a point it actually enhances the image.

Nag said...

Bu- you're always being brainwashed by such stuff as science and all this :p how can they add noise to a pic anyway? Elaborate. But yes i can see how it makes someone sleepy..
Btw ran into ur bro today on opposite escalaters.

Anonymous said...

Wow! A place where we can all make extra money?? This is fantastic :D Let's do it. Mr./Mrs./Ms. Anonymous is such a nice person.

@nag. Noise isn't just sound ya3ni...there can be noise on your computer screen or in electricity. Any kind of signal. I think they added white noise to a picture by inserting random bits into it or something. It seemed to make it sharper for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Hey! You removed that comment. Now my previous post makes no sense whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

Well, the first part of it anyway.

Christian said...

Nas has apparently been asleep in image processing classes.
This is an example of one of my phoos to which I had intentionally added noise
http://gallery.finalgear.com/album/v0od0o/cars/M3_resize.jpg.html

I don't know about it from a cognito-psychological point of view but at least from an artsy fartsy point of view noise has always been used in images. There are a couple of options in photoshop to add noise to a photo, usually the difference is in the distribution (uniform or gaussian) of the noise as well as if it's monochrome or colored noise.

In fact, any decent portrait you've seen has a lot of lens noise in it, whenever you see a subject sharply in focus and the backgroun blurred, the background has noise.

Christian said...

And karembu should stop replying to bot comments anyway :P