Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Prayer

Old Man: "It goes like this. Let's see now: 'Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.' That's it. It's what you pray silently inside yourself anyway, so you may as well have it out in the open."

Arthur: "Hmmm, Well, thank you - "

Old Man: "There's another prayer that goes with it that's very important, so you'd better jot this down, too."

Arthur: "OK."

Old Man: "It goes, 'Lord, lord, lord...' It's best to put that bit in, just in case. You can never be too sure. 'Lord, lord, lord. Protect me from the consequences of the above prayer. Amen...' And that's it. Most of the trouble people get into in life comes from missing out that last part.'"

~ Old Man Oracle's prayer given to Arthur Dent, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No comments: